Established in 1987, AKCS was founded on and continues to expound on the rock-solid truths and principles taught to us through God’s Holy Word. We use classroom instruction and government accredited curriculum but have woven Godly principles into each course. It has been our experience that when the Spiritual foundation is right, whatever is built upon it will be strong, withstanding the tests of time.
What is “Koinonia?” Koinonia (pronounced Coin-o-nee-ah) is the Greek word from the New Testament that means fellowship and sharing. It refers to what we have in common as believers in Christ.
"Airdrie Koinonia Christian School exists to provide children with an education which will enable them to know, love, and effectively serve Jesus Christ in the world."
Who is AKCS?
- Established in 1987
- Kindergarten to Grade 12
- Private, non-denominational Christian discipleship school
- Fully accredited by Alberta Education
- Certified, Christian Teachers
- Bible as a core subject with Christian service opportunities
- Parental involvement welcomed and encouraged
- Academic achievement consistently above provincial and national norms
- Personalized programs to accommodate a wide range of abilities
- Options include Fine Arts, Law, Psychology, Computer Studies and more
- Competitive sports programs
- Member of Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI), Association of Independent Schools and Colleges in Alberta (AISCA) and Koinonia Christian Education Society (KCES)
AKCS is a place to belong, grow and flourish - educating for a lifetime with a focus on Eternity. Just as a tossed pebble ripples the water surrounding it, so our students, grounded and trained in the knowledge of God, will influence those around them for the ultimate advancement of God’s kingdom.
Educational Philosophy and Program
We are a school of approximately 300 students committed to a Biblical standard of spiritual and academic excellence. We believe that every child is made in the image of God and has unique talents and needs. AKCS provides a program which enables each child to grow spiritually, academically, socially and physically so that he or she is equipped for service to God. We are committed to a Biblical standard of excellence for the glory of God in all that we do. We believe that anything worth learning should be learned well and the role of the teacher is to ensure that learning occurs for every student. We have focused our curriculum on a select group of core and complementary subjects which we strive to teach extremely well.
- A strong partnership between home, church and school.
- An association with families whose values and goals match yours.
- Staff who begin each day together in devotions, worship and prayer.
- Bible as a core subject on equal footing with other subjects such as math, science, etc.
School Structure and Curriculum:
- Elementary - Grades 1 to 6
- Junior High - Grades 7 to 8
- High School - Grades 9 to 12
- Option Classes include: Cooking, Photography, Shop, Basic Auto Mechanics, Wood Working, Computers, Fine Arts including Drama and Art
- Educational field trips
- Elementary Intramurals
- Jr. and Sr. High Ski Trips
- Jr. and Sr. High Retreats
- Spelling Bee
- Annual Variety Show
- Elementary Spring Musical
- Themed Lunches
- Spirit Days
- Senior High Drama
- Senior High Choir
- Junior High Guitar
- Student Council
- Off campus physical education activities
- Daily prayer and devotions
- Weekly chapel services
- Worship teams
- Student leadership retreats
- Honoring pastors of school families
- Bible class for all grades
AKCS Eagles Sports:
- Cross Country Running
- Track and Field
- Sport Team Tournaments
Serving / Missions:
- Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes
- Airdrie and Veterans Food Bank
- AKCS Serv-a-thon
- International support of 3rd world organizations
- Mission trips:
- Provincial (Lethbridge)
- International (Mexico)
- Senior outreach
- Praying for / letters of thanks to soldiers and EMS personnel
- Serving at Samaritan's Purse and Stephen's Backpacks